Student Dress and Grooming
MVL students are encouraged to remember that in everything the Christian is to give glory to God. In that spirit they will want their appearance to show that they are “a people belonging to God” (I Peter 2:9). During your professional time attending classes, MVL students are expected to dress with neatness and modesty. A modest style of dress will avoid clothing that is tight fitting, has a plunging neckline, revealing undergarments, or revealing body parts. Families are encouraged to review and discuss the following examples of items that are not considered modest or in compliance with MVL’s Dress and Grooming Policy.
- Tattered, torn, worn-out, or dirty clothing. Although some frays may be exposed on the heel of the pant, no exposed skin or undergarments will ever be allowed.
- Pajamas or pajama-style pants, cotton/wool/fleece sweat pants, or break-away wind pants with snaps (wind pants without snaps are permitted) No writing on the backside will ever be allowed.
- Uncovered tops such as spaghetti straps, halter tops, sling tops (tube tops are never allowed)
- Visible body piercing, gauges, large nose or septum piercings (exception: ears, small nose piercings)
- “Low-rise” or sagging pants/shorts
- Clothing (as well as jackets, bags, and school-related materials) that has advertising or slogans relating to beer, alcohol, drugs, tobacco products, bars, music groups or their representations, gambling, pro-wrestling, or questionable innuendoes including gothic dress and gang identification (bandanas), symbols of darkness (skulls, cross bones, death related), and degrading messages
- No exposed zippers on pants, chains, or metal studs are allowed.
- Midriffs, sides, or lower backs must be covered at all times
- No headwear, including handkerchiefs as bandanas, may be worn by students during the school day. (exception: girls with headbands for hair)
- Facial tattoos are not allowed. A faith based tattoo can be displayed, but all generic tattoos must remain covered.
- No blankets/pillows.
- Leggings – Leggings (or any other outfit relating to tights) are only acceptable if worn under a skirt, dress, or pair of shorts that comply with the dress code. Body cons are not allowed.
- Sweatpants – Wind pants without snaps will continue to be allowed. Cotton sweatpants, fleece sweatpants, or break-away wind pants with snaps will not. At this time, joggers fall into the category of wind pants or regular pants. Joggers must follow the mark of modesty. No writing on the backside will ever be allowed.
- Rompers and Jumpers – Rompers and Jumpers will be included with dresses and must follow the mark of modesty standard .
The Mark of Modesty – The mark of modesty for all shorts, skirts, and dresses will appear to be covering ½ of the thigh when seated.
Modest shorts may be worn at any time during the school year. Shorts made of wool/fleece, spandex, tattered, cut-off shorts, or shorts with holes should not be worn. The mark of modesty must be followed.
Modest skorts, skirts, and dresses may also be worn by females at any time during the school year. The mark of modesty must be followed.
Formal Dress Code (Prom and Winter Formal)
Boys – Tuxedos are not a requirement for attendance. Dress for the young men should minimally be dress pants, a dress shirt, or a sweater. Ties are optional. Suits are always welcomed. A dress shirt must be worn and buttoned to a modest level at all times. A vest, tie, and or cummerbund on its own does not qualify as a shirt.
Girls – Strapless gowns are allowed, but cautioned. A one or two strap (including clear) gown is acceptable, as long as it meets the other requirements. The dress should prevent a plunging neckline and the neckline of the gown/dress must cover all undergarments. The back line of the gown/dress must cover the small of the back. Any revealed back line below the shoulder blades is bordering being immodest. If a gown/dress/skirt has a slit, the slit must not go past the mark of modesty. All midriff or stomach regions must not be revealed. (Netting DOES NOT work)
MVL students and parents should share these guidelines with any possible guests. If there are any questions to this code, please feel free to call the Dean of Students.
Failure to comply with MVL’s Dress and Grooming Policy may require disciplinary action. The following consequences could be enforced for all dress code violations:
Step One: The student must
• Make arrangements to correct the violation
• Sign an anecdotal report that includes admission of the violation (the violation will be sent home), discuss consequences of future violations, and consultation
• Return to class with proper attire
Step Two: The student must
• Perform the actions of Step One along with:
• Serve a 40-minute detention.
Step Three: The student must
• Perform the actions of Steps One and Two along with:
• Serve two consecutive detentions.
Any incidents after Step Three may lead to reconsideration of future attendance at MVL.
Formal Dress Code
For formal affairs such as a dance which is designated as a “formal” dance.
Tuxedos are not a requirement for attendance. Dress for the young men should minimally be dress pants, a dress shirt, or a sweater. Ties are optional. Suits are always welcomed. A dress shirt must be worn and buttoned to a modest level at all times. A vest, tie, and or comber bun on its own does not qualify as a shirt.
Strapless gowns are not allowed. A one or two strap gown is acceptable, as long as it meets the other requirements. Clear straps are allowed. No plunging necklines and the neckline of the gown/dress must cover all undergarments.
The back line of the gown/dress must cover the small of the back. Any revealed back line below the shoulder blades is bordering being immodest. If a gown/dress/skirt has a slit, the slit must not go past mid thigh. Use the standard at home: When the arms are placed at the side, the slit must not go above the fingertips. Gown/dresses/skirts should be of a length that when the arms are placed at the sides, the hem goes to or beyond the outstretched fingertips.
All midriff or stomach regions must not be revealed. (netting DOES NOT work)