Merry Christmas from the MVL Family!
Monday, December 19
Tuesday, December 20
Wednesday, December 21
- Seniors may be excused from 1st, 3rd, 4th, 8th, and 7th period study halls. Seniors not involved in the Christmas Concert and have 8th hour study hall will be excused from the 8th hour study hall.
- All students with 6th hour study hall are excused after chapel if they are not involved in the Christmas Concert rehearsal. Otherwise attendance is required in all study halls.
- If you are excused from a study hall and chose to leave early, you must leave campus immediately. Students who are waiting for a ride should wait in the commons.
Highway 14 Update from MNDOT
Winter Driving, Snow Days and E-Learning Day
If the condition of the roads around MVL today (November 29) is any indication of what we’re going to deal with this winter, it’s going to be interesting to say the least. For those coming from the east, we should not expect County 25 between Nicollet and Courtland to be free of snow and ice. The stretch of Highway 14 that is still open between Courtland and MVL is not high on MNDOT’s plowing priority list, so navigating that three-mile section will be a challenge. For those of you coming in on County 21 and then driving down 561st Avenue, that route will be equally as treacherous. Please be careful driving to and from MVL!
National Honor Society
In January of 2023, our NHS advisor will be sending out invitations to join the MVL chapter of the National Honor Society. Invitations will be sent out to current juniors (and current non-NHS seniors) who have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better. The invitation will be in the form of a packet of materials that the student should discuss with his or her parents. Even though a student’s GPA has no bearing on their final acceptance into NHS, students are expected to maintain a 3.5 GPA in order to remain eligible; they are also expected to fully participate in NHS activities.
The application requires students to list their participation in organizations, their leadership experiences, their service activities, and their employment history. The application also includes a place for students to explain why they want to join this service organization. A letter of recommendation must accompany the student’s application. The letter cannot be written by a family member, an MVL teacher, or any MVL coach. The person who writes the letter should know the student quite well and should be able to vouch for the student’s work ethic, leadership, responsibility, and character.
The actual selection process will follow the guidelines set by our NHS constitution and by-laws. If a student qualifies for invitation by virtue of his or her GPA, that student will receive an invitation to pursue membership. A student may decide that he or she is not interested, or that distance from school prohibits his or her participation, or that employment or co-curriculars make NHS membership inadvisable. All invited students need to return a response form (included in the invitation packet) regardless of whether or not they plan to pursue membership. A submitted application does not guarantee membership.
Host Families Needed
We are in need of host families for our foreign exchange students. Host families are compensated monthly for taking in and supporting these young people. If this is something that your family would be interested in and you would like more information, please contact the MVL office at 507-354-6851.
Inclement Weather Policy
With the coming of cold weather it may happen that we will decide to start school late, close school for the day or dismiss early. In such cases, the decision will be announced through our Infinite Campus Alert system. You can customize the phone numbers and ways you will receive notification through your parent portal.
Start thinking about using SCRIP for Christmas gifts. The last week to order for Christmas will be the week of December 5th. Orders placed after December 12th will not be guaranteed to be filled. Check out all the vendors at http://raiseright.com
Weight Room Hours
Starting November 28th, the weight room will be open on Monday and Wednesday mornings (unless we have a late start or no school) from 7:15 – 8:00 AM and after school on Tuesdays and Fridays from 3:15-4:00 PM.
Normally we start the school year with enough donated boxes of tissues to last us the entire year. Not so this year. Our stock of boxes of tissues is low. Maybe more seasonal allergies, maybe more colds, maybe just a lot of runny noses. While you’re doing your Christmas shopping, maybe you could buy a couple of extra boxes of tissues and drop them off at MVL. Many thanks!
History Tour Payments
This year’s History Tour fee ($1000) was added to your FACTS account. You will see this amount included in your incidental payments.
Tuition Payment Reminder
Please make sure to log onto your family FACTS account when making an online tuition payment. If you log onto the general FACTS page, or make the payment through the guest portal on the webpage, you will not see your balance updated for about two weeks. If you pay through the family FACTS account, you will see your balance updated immediately. As always, if you have payment questions, need to move a payment date, or need help, please contact Deb.
Spirit of MVL Recap
MVL is blessed to have a great number of people in our family, all with a heart for Christian education. The Spirit of MVL event is designed to bring this family together in thanksgiving. This special evening was held on Saturday, November 19 at the Best Western Conference Center in New Ulm.
At this event, we celebrated the ten military service members of the Class of 2006 as Spirit of MVL award recipients. Seven of the ten were able to join us for the evening and delivered powerful messages about what MVL meant to them and how it encouraged them to serve God and country. Please join us in thanking these individuals for using their time, talents, and treasures to the glory of God!
This year’s theme was “Our Cup Overflows” and funds were raised for our Partnership Fund and new security system. An array of beautiful items and thrilling experiences were sold in the live auction. While the net amount raised has not yet been determined, we witnessed the generosity of so many. To God be the glory!
Seniors and Parents/Guardians
Don’t forget to get your FAFSA (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa) submitted for Fall 2023. Potential college choices cannot create a financial aid package for you without receiving this information first. Here is a eight-step guide to completing the FAFSA: https://studentaid.gov/articles/steps-to-complete-fafsa-form/
However, I think it can be actually be condensed into 3 steps:
1. Student and one parent/guardian create a FSA ID (used to sign the form electronically). Create your FSA ID here: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm.
2. Student signs into FAFSA (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa) using their FSA ID. Complete FAFSA (ensure you are selecting the correct year: 2023-2024) and add all potential schools to the list so that they receive your information.
3. Submit your FAFSA. Email that you used should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) within 3-5 business days of submission. This SAR will include your family’s Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used to determine the aid the student will receive at each institution.
*Mr. Smith is willing to meet with and help a family complete their FAFSA if they would like that assistance. If interested, please have your student speak with Mr. Smith or contact him directly at: email@example.com or 507.233.8685.
Concessions Sign Up
Sign up now for basketball concessions! Check your calendar and see when you can help with this important fundraiser for all the MVL activities. All families are encouraged to help out. High school students may work in the stand as long as there’s an adult present.
• Boys: https://signup.com/go/bAERdbG
• Girls: https://signup.com/go/fmquDNp
Christmas Gifts for Faculty and Staff
If you’d like to contribute money for faculty/staff Christmas gifts, please send it with your student or mail it to school by December 15.
Jeans and Dreams Auction
The auction is coming April 1! Does your family have artistic or craft talent or have fun pulling together items around a theme? Consider creating an item or basket to donate to the auction. Some of our most-loved items in the past have been those created by MVL families and alumni using their unique gifts.
2022-2023 Booster Club Board
President: Adam Schmidt
Vice President: Angie Brau
Secretary: Linda Kramer
Treasurer: Julie Trebelhorn
Events Coordinator: Jodie Johnson
Concessions Coordinators: Carissa Rodewald & Michelle Grubbs
Volunteer Coordinator: Lisa Cole
2022-2023 Project List
· $4000 Portable Outdoor Scoreboard
· $2000 Synthesizer and Amp
· $2500 Tournament Fund
· $1150 Drama Clothes Rack and Makeup Light/Mirror
· $7000 Track Uniforms
· $5000 Treadmill
· $7000 Baseball Uniforms
· $7500 Boys’ Basketball Uniforms
· $500 Awards
· $1000 Planners
· $37,650 Total
- The Campaign Committee is wrapping up visits to the MVL Association Churches
- Close to 1500 marketing packets and pledge cards have been distributed
- Look for monthly bulletin inserts through April with funding updates
What the Project Hopes to Provide
- Two new science/chemistry classrooms
- A multi-purpose event center
- A new field house with seating capacity of 1100
- A new activities entrance
- To raise $6,900,000 before April 15, 2023.
- This will allow MVL to move immediately into the construction phase of the project.
Where we stand
- As of November 30, 2022 we have secured $2,800,000 or 46.5% of our short-term goal
- We need to raise an additional $4,100,000 before April 15, 2023
- To date, an estimated 4.6 % of the 3750 Association giving units have pledged to the campaign
How do we get there?
- There are approximately 3750 giving units in the MVL Association Churches
- If ½ of the giving units pledged $1.25 per day ($456/year) for five years, the project is under way!
- If 1/3 of the giving units pledged $1.85 per day ($675/year) for five years, the project is under way!
As you can see, God has truly blessed MVL with dedicated coaches and advisors for your students. Keeping them busy and productive. Come out and enjoy a game or two and our Christmas Concert. Maybe you’ll get a glimpse of the softball fields under the snow! The trip to school with the detours is not as bad as people think. Our kids will make the trip worth it!
We’ve had about a week and a half of practices and the teams are ready for the seasons to start. We would like to welcome Isaiah Loersch as our C Team basketball coach. Isaiah played his high school career at Onalaska Lutheran High School for MVL alum Bred Schaper and now comes to us from MLC where he played basketball last year.
We hope you can get out and attend a few games this winter and cheer on the Chargers. It will make the winter go by a little faster.
MVL would like to welcome Katelyn Gilkey as this year’s Dance Team coach. Katelyn comes to us from MLC and is originally from Reno, Nevada where she grew up dancing. She has experience in many various dance styles. The girls are working hard to get their 8 counts down as well as their first routine. We can’t wait for their first performance!