There has been WELS secondary Lutheran education in New Ulm since November 10, 1884. Sharing the campus of Dr. Martin Luther College until the spring of 1979 was Martin Luther Academy. MLA was primarily a school to prepare high school students to enter training for full time ministry. In 1979 that school was combined with other schools and moved to a new location in Wisconsin. Then in the fall of 1979, Minnesota Valley Lutheran High School began offering a Christ-centered Lutheran based education to high school students with a variety of interests.
High School Campus
MVL’s campus is on 77 acres, east of New Ulm, MN on Highway 14. Twice during our thirty years major construction projects have expanded our original building to include sufficient classroom space, offices and a commons area, and a new Art facility. A master site plan looks well into the future, calling for a chapel/auditorium, a field house, an industrial arts facility, and an outdoor athletic complex. MVL is one of 25 Area Lutheran High Schools associated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. We currently have 198 students in grades 9 – 12. We have 14 called workers and 9 hired staff. Our support depends on tuition, congregational offerings and other gifts.